Friday, December 12, 2008

Pre-Appocolyptic Painting?

Wondering lately what the difference is between practice and a finished piece. The ideas my mind is quick to fetch are obvious and don't explain what I'm thinking about. Mostly, I'm thinking that for now my focus needs to lie in just making my work, and selling and showing need to ask less attention. Back before Katrina I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing; I was pulling up these dark little pieces of life and bringing them out where people would pass by or stop and squint to remark, "Oh- that's a part of me." Then they would buy it, the money seeming so incidental, just a trademark or formality for this process to carry out its purpose. But now- I'm no longer clear on what I want to communicate- and if what I want is what actually needs to be said. I can see that just for myself, this inclincation towards order and pre-conception has meaning for me. Outwardly, as goes the world at large- it seems like we're heading for the appocolypse.

No comments:

free hit counters
free hit counters